N_L.11 Support a kid’s library in a small village near Matagalpa
Location: Lomas de Guadalupe, Matagalpa, Nicaragua
Description of the project:
This library for children was founded in 2011 by a family. The project aims at providing children and youth of this rural community with educational opportunities that support and transcend the educational means of the local public school. In the library, the kids have access to books, can play and are supported while doing their homework. Every other Saturday, the library organizes different kinds of workshops on topics like environmental education, sports, theatre, music, arts and crafts as well as games and competitions. To keep the library working and to continue with and to further this range of activities, the library needs the help of volunteers.
What you do depends on your skills and what is needed, but your tasks may include:
- Management of library (book lending, homework assistance, reading stories)
- Organization of games (lending and supervising board games and outdoor games)
- Organization and carrying out of workshops on crafts, arts and music (e.g. theatre, dance, drawing, etc.)
- Organization of sportive activities and competitions
- You are welcome to contribute your own ideas
- Work schedule: Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 and 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.; every other Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 Vacations: Easter, Labor Day, Fiestas Patrias, Christmas
- Minimum stay: 6 months
- Spanish level: advanced; if you take Spanish classes before starting your volunteering, an intermediate level would be fine
- Skills and expertise: experience in and being comfortable with working with primary school-aged children and young adults. Being able to work independently and self responsible, empathy, flexibility, cultural sensitivity, openness to learn new ways in a new cultural setting.
Accommodation, Benefits and Costs:
- It is possible to stay in Matagalpa in a guest family (USD 75/week/ 3 meals included) or at the project site
- Proyecto Mosaico books your lodging, Spanish classes and your transportation from the airport.
- Furthermore, we offer individual assistance provided by the office in Granada before, throughout and after your stay
- For our work and our services we ask a one-time-only fee of 25o €- regardless of the length of your stay
Have a look at the detailed project presentation with more pictures, info on accommodation and location:
Interested? Send us here your…Inicial Request for your Volunteer Experience