N_N.05 Work with children and teach at a local community center on Isla de Ometepe
Location: Ometepe Island, Nicaragua
Description of the Project:
You will work with children at a local community center on the beautiful Isla de Ometepe. The objective of the project is to promote each child’s development by providing education and care programs after school. The purpose of the project is to give children of deprived families the opportunity of extra care and education programs during and after school. In total, there are about 60 kids of different ages and different levels of education in the Community Center. For their maximum benefit, classes will be held for small groups depending on their level of education and their needs. In addition to the curricular and extracurricular activities the project is also engaged in local community work and development.
The work is quite flexible and depends on your imagination. But basically you can participate in the following:
- Teach language classes (English, French)
- Help the children with their daily homework
- Offer other creative or sports activities (for example music, theatre, drawing or handicraft classes)
- Get involved in Fundraising campaigns
- Work schedule: flexible, but normally it will be Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. -12 m.d. and 2 p.m. -6 p.m.
- Vacations: Easter week, Christmas
- Minimum stay: 1 month
- Spanish level: Basic
- Skills and expertise: You like to work and spend time with children, creativity and the ability to work independently, flexibility and patience, interest in arts, crafts, and reading; experiences in tutoring or working with children are helpful (but are not required)
Accommodation, Benefits and Costs:
- You can stay in a host family in the community El Sacramento in Ometepe (from 280 US$/month incl. 3 meals a day).
- Proyecto Mosaico books your lodging, Spanish school and your transportation from the airport, furthermore we offer individual assistance provided by the office in Granada before, throughout and after your stay
- For our work and our services we ask a one-time-only fee of 250 € – regardless of the length of your stay
Have a look at the detailed project presentation with more pictures, info on accommodation and location:
Interested? Send us here your…Inicial Request for your Volunteer Experience