N_F.18 Help to reincorporate children into society (Nicaragua)
Location: Granada, Nicaragua
Description of the project:
This project is the only place near Granada where the street kids get some attention and the chance to meet their needs. They try to get the children off the street by giving leisure facilities and distance to their bad company that is the reason for the new location outside of Granada.
A big part of the attention given to the children refers to their healthiness and education. The project tries to steer the children back on the right track through creative activities and education. The kids also have to respect the common social norms and educators and they try to participate in the activities and classes. Most of the kids are drug addicts, especially of adhesive. An important aspect is the work of the psychologists and the social workers. Because the center was founded by the Catholic Church, the formation of catholic values is a big topic there. Furthermore, the kids receive psychological attention if needed and food three times a day. The attendance in the center is voluntarily. All the services that are offered they get for free if they like to join and come to the center.
The work is quite flexible and depends on your imagination and what is needed, e.g.:
- Giving classes in arts, handicrafts, formal education, agriculture, sports, dance, etc.
- Supporting the teachers / psychologists
- Educating the teachers in new methods of education
- Working time: The working hours are from 9 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
- Vacations: Easter week, Christmas
- Minimum stay: 6 months
- Spanish level: Advanced
- Skills and expertise: You are creative and imaginative, you have knowledge of psychology, education or social work, you have knowledge of arts, sports, planting food, etc. Male volunteers preferred
Accommodation, Benefits and Costs:
- You can stay in a host family (from 50 US$ / week incl. breakfast) or in a shared flat (from 35 US$/ week)
- Proyecto Mosaico books your lodging, Spanish school and your transportation from the airport, furthermore we offer individual assistance provided by the office in Granada before, throughout and after your stay
- For our work and our services we ask a one-time-only fee of 250 € – regardless of the length of your stay
Have a look at the detailed project presentation with more pictures, info on accommodation and location:
Interested? Send us here your…Inicial Request for your Volunteer Experience