N_H.13 Work at an educational finca and promote organic farming
Location: near Leon, Nicaragua
Description of the Project: For years, Nicaragua has been facing a massive rural exodus. Unemployment is extremely high in the rural regions and especially for young people, working in the field of agriculture is no longer an option. For small farmers, the abandonment of their fields and migration to the cities or abroad, seems to be the only way to break the poverty cycle. On a long run, this will have a devastating effect on the national food security. The project aims to test diverse methods of organic farming and animal raising and their applicability to the local, small farming context. This way, they are trying to contribute to the subsistence of local small famers. An area of 1000 m² is used for growing vegetables using bio intensive farming methods (i.e. double digging, mixed cropping, relay cropping). Other important fields of work and investigation are organic fertilizers, compost as well as biological pest control. Experiences gained on the finca as well as knowledge on organic farming methods in general will be transmitted to local small farmers and students of agriculture in workshops.
- You can either volunteer or do an internship
- Help with eco-farming at the model finca
- Work, learn or do research in fields such as: food production on small farms and food security; compost and bioenergy; biological pest control.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the project by contributing your own ideas
- Support workshops for students and farmers about ecological farming methods
- Search for markets for the food produced on the finca
- Work schedule: Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. till 12 m.
Minimum stay: 1 month
Spanish level: at least basic knowledge
Skills and expertise:Interest in and knowledge of organic farming and methods such as mixed cropping, relay cropping, compost, biological pest control), interest in taking care of animals, cultural sensitivity and openness to learn new skills
Accommodation, Benefits and Costs:
- Stay with a host family (from 50 US$/ week incl. breakfast) or in a shared flat (from 40 US$/ week)
- Proyecto Mosaico books your lodging, Spanish school and your transportation from the airport, furthermore we offer individual assistance provided by the office in Granada before, throughout and after your stay
- For our services we ask a one-time-only fee of 250 € – regardless of the length of your stay
Have a look at the detailed project presentation with more pictures, info on accommodation and location:
Interested? Send us an here your…Inicial Request for your Volunteer Experience